An auto accident
can be a frustrating and dangerous experience. It often leaves drivers shaken and unable to think clearly. Critical steps may be missed, leading to injury and less than ideal care for your damaged vehicle. To ensure the safety of all those involved and to take proper care of your car, truck, or SUV, there are 8 steps you should take immediately:
- Call 911 - The police will need to file a report, and make sure there are no serious injuries. Never skip this step, no matter what the other involved party may say. To get proper coverage, police reports must be filed.
- Call Your Family - Your loved ones may be concerned if you are late, or they haven't heard from you. They need to know that all is well. You may also need someone to pick you up if your car is damaged enough to require towing to a local auto body and collision repair service company.
- Take Pictures Of Everything - Pull out your phone and take pictures of damage to both vehicles. Also, take a picture of the other person's insurance card and drivers license. By simply writing down their information, you run the risk of committing an error. Taking a quick photo will ensure that you have the correct information when you need it.
- Call Your Insurance Carrier - You need to contact your insurance carrier no matter the extent of damage. In some cases, the damage may not look bad on the outside but has caused frame damage or other unseen problems. Your insurance agent can explain the steps you need to take in order to file a claim and receive compensation for the insurance you pay premiums on.
- Move Your Car To A Safe Area - If your car is still operational, it is a good idea to move your vehicle to a safer area, such as a parking lot away from the roadway and other traffic. Safety should always be a top priority.
- Contact An Auto Body And Collision Repair Service - You will need someone who can give you a free estimate and get to work immediately fixing the damage your automobile suffered. Here in Baton Rouge and the surrounding areas, Medines Collision Center is a top-of-the-line auto body and collision repair service center. You can easily reach us at 225-357-7983, and we will gladly guide you on your next step.
- Call A Tow Truck - Your chosen collision repair center should be able to provide some suggestions on a reliable and economic company to tow your vehicle to their location.
- Get A Rental Car - Depending on the extent of damage to your vehicle, you may need to rent reliable transportation while the experts at Medines put your car back into roadworthy condition. If you ask the collision expert, they may just be able to suggest preferred car rental services in the area.
At Medines, we understand the aftermath of an auto accident and what a difficult time it can be. We want to help by making the process as painless and simple as possible. If you are involved in an accident, gain some peace of mind by giving Medines a call
at 225-357-7983. We can give you a free estimate and assessment to get you back on the road as soon as possible.
If you have ever visited Medine's Collision Center, you know we try to care for each person who picks up the phone or walks through our door. Usually a smile or a "thank you" from a happy, satisfied customer is enough to keep us going. However, when we read a Google reviews like the one created the other day; it warms our heart and makes all we do worth it. I would like to share the review with you to lend perspective from one of our customers in Baton Rouge.
“Medine's Collision Center is the best experience I have ever had with a body repair shop! Just after buying my Honda Civic, I accidentally tore off my front bumper trying to park in a busy parking lot. I was so frustrated, and wasn't sure what to do. After spending my savings on a new car, I now had a detached bumper. After months of trying to zip tie it together, I resorted to gorilla glue and black duct tape to keep the bumper attached to the car. Although a temporary fix, my car looked ridiculous. Too embarrassed to park near the front of my office, I would park down the street. After moving to Baton Rouge, a great new friend suggested Medine's Collision Center.
Not only did Medine's perform a thorough inspection of my car; they provided me with an estimate that was far lower than expected. The owners explored all options to ensure that the estimate was within a reasonable range. Everyone at Medine's Collision Center was open, honest, and forthright. Because a brand new bumper was completely out of my price range, Medine's Collision looked for alternate options for me. After discovering a refurbished bumper, they presented this alternative option to me. By going the extra mile, Medine's Collision Center ended up saving me hundreds of dollars. To add to the convenience, Medine's Collision Center also had a spacious waiting room that felt like home. I was lucky enough that I really never had to use it, because it really only took them one day to have my car ready.
Dominica was awesome the whole way through! She kept in contact with me and informed me of any changes. When I arrived at Medine's Collision Center to pick up my car, I could not believe my eyes. My car looked better than the day I bought it. Not only did they fix my bumper, but they also waxed the outside of my car, cleaned the inside windows, and vacuumed my rugs. Now, that is an example of going the extra mile.
On my way home from Medine's Collision Center, I felt so proud of my newly fixed car. I was so excited about taking my car to Medine's Collision Center that I have already started to recommend them to everyone I know. I could not have been happier with the customer service that Medine's Collision Center provided me. In the unfortunate event of another auto accident, I will be sure to take my car to Medine's Collision Center immediately. Thank you so much Medine's Collision Center, I am in love with my car again!”
We would like to thank Zach for this wonderful testimony regarding our services at Medine's Collision Center. Additionally, we would like to thank all of our loyal clients who have supported us through the years. As a collision center in Baton Rouge, we know how stressful a car accident can be. This is why we try to treat everyone like a friend and help you through the entire body repair process. We are often called auto accident advisors for our attention to detail from the beginning to the end of the auto accident experience.
Until we speak again, take control and choose Medine's Collision Center!
So you think your car has just been totaled? Now what? Are you just not sure what to do next? What is the process? Through the years, Medines Collision Center has developed steps that should guide you through the process, and will enable you to be back on the streets of Baton Rouge as soon as possible.
After your accident, normal precautions must be made such as; checking for injuries, dialing 911, looking for witnesses, calling your insurance company. One thing Medines suggests is to take pictures of everything. It’s assumed that you should take pictures of the damage, the accident and the injuries, but also take pictures of their license plate, driver’s license, and insurance card.
Mistakes happen, just writing their information down might lead to a costly error. Pulling out your camera phone and snapping a quick photo helps prevent numerical or alphabetical errors from occurring while working through your accident case. It's just a good idea to keep yourself protected.
Now it's time to get the insurance process started. At first glance, the car may appear like it will never drive the streets of Baton Rouge again. But, how do you find out and who can help?
1. Take Control, Choose Medines - Have your car towed to Medines Collision Center. There it will be inspected for the severity of the damage and all information will be relayed to you and the insurance agency. Medines will complete a thorough inspection and administer a repair estimation report before moving forward. If the report comes back a total loss, Medines can provide you with a NADA (National Auto Dealers Association) value of your vehicle report. The insurance company might not want to use these figures, but the amount they offer is “negotiable.” Depending on the situation, it's often suggested that you get within a few hundred dollars of the bottom line figure, if possible.
2. Personal Items - Remove any personal items from inside the vehicle. You can also grab your license plate. Medine’s will have you sign a release form in order for the insurance company to pick up your vehicle. You do not want to sign the release form until you are satisfied with the outcome of the negotiations and ready to release your vehicle to the insurance company.
3. Insurance - It is very important that you get all of your negotiations with the insurance company in WRITING. You do want the negotiations to drag on any longer than needed. However, you do not want to release your car until the negotiations with the insurance company are finalized. Once this process takes place, have the final numbers sent via, email, fax, or mail.
4. THE DMV - Take the license plate to the DMV or a notary for handling. The DMV is free, usually a notary will charge around $5.00 to process it for you. You will need this to be done before you drop insurance on your vehicle. If you drop insurance before you turn in your license plate, the DMV will find you $75.00 after ten days.
5. Follow up with Medines - Your car may need to be stored, and Medines is licensed to do so. You are not responsible for the tow, storage, and related fees. Do not let the insurance company tell you otherwise. The insurance company will come and pick up the car. However, make sure your personal items are back in your possession before they do so.
Medines Collison Center has been aiding drivers get back on the road for decades. We are here to help guide you through your accident no matter the severity. If you have just been in an accident and are looking for help with your case call 225-357-7983 or download more information about why you should Take Control an Choose Medines Collision Center.
Although you hope it never happens, an estimated one in four drivers will be involved in an auto accident throughout their lifetime. Additionally, Louisiana weather is unpredictable and can result in a situation where you find yourself stranded. Because of this, it is imperative that you are always prepared with an auto emergency kit.
Do you feel confident that your vehicle is equipped with everything that you might need in the event of an emergency? In this post, we will discuss which tools and items should be included in your auto emergency kit.
Storing Your Auto Emergency Kit
Before we get into the details of what should be included in your auto emergency kit, we should discuss its storage. Although your first thought may be to keep it in your trunk, this is not the wisest option.
Consider that in the event of a truly severe accident, you may find yourself trapped inside of your vehicle and unable to access your kit. Along those same lines, your auto emergency kit should be securely closed at all times. Throwing a few items into a loose box or bag could result in its contents being scattered all about your car and under your seats in the event of an accident.
Choosing Items for Your Auto Emergency Kit
Whether you're buying your auto emergency kit or making your own, here are some of the items which should be included:
- First Aid Kit - The most obvious item that should be included in your emergency pack is a First Aid Kit. In the event of minor injuries sustained in an auto accident, it is important that you are able to disinfect any open wounds, stop any bleeding, apply a cold compress to prevent swelling, etc.
- Fire Extinguisher - Small, portable fire extinguishers are available for vehicles. Be sure to select an extinguisher that is rated for class A (ordinary combustibles), B (flammable liquids), and C (energized electrical) fires in order to cover your bases. Stopping a small fire in its early stages can prevent a serious disaster.
- Window Hammer and Seatbelt Cutter - You can buy these tools separately, or you can purchase an all-in-one option for the sake of convenience and space. If you ever find yourself in a situation where you need to escape your car quickly but simply unbuckling your seatbelt or opening your door is not an option, this device can be a life-saver.
- Flashlight & Extra Batteries - Don't count on your dome light in the event of an emergency. It's wise to always have a flashlight on hand so that you can see what you're doing.
- Road Flares or Reflective Triangles - The more attention that you can draw to yourself, the easier it will be for you to be found by emergency responders and/or passing vehicles who can help. Plus, road flares or reflective triangles can keep you safe on a dark road where you might otherwise be hit.
- Foam Tire Sealant - In the event of a small tire puncture or other minimal damage, foam tire sealant can work in a pinch to at least get you to the next town so that you won't be stranded on a dark highway.
- Jumper Cables - If your car is stalled and another car stops to help, it won't do you much good if neither of you has any jumper cables. It's always smart to keep them on hand.
- Gloves - Attempting to get out of a vehicle when there is shattered glass is dangerous. Keep a pair of gloves on hand to help protect yourself against cuts.
- Water - Keeping water in your auto emergency kit is useful in cleaning wounds and in surviving, should you be stranded or required to wait some time before emergency responders can arrive to help.
- Non-Perishable Food - Keep some granola bars or other non-perishable food items in your vehicle in the event that you become stranded.
When it comes to your safety, don't leave anything to chance. Medine's Collision Center sees the results of unfortunate auto accidents daily and understands the importance of being prepared in the event of an emergency. You can drive safely and confidently with the knowledge that Medine's is here to help get you and your vehicle back on the road.
We would love to hear from you if you have any additional items that you think should be included in our emergency car kit!! Feel free to post in the comments section below!
Medine's wants everyone to be educated about what should be kept in your vehicle in the unfortunate event of an accident, and we would also like for everyone to read our 7 Saftey Tips For Driving In The Rain. Please, feel free to click the button below and we will send a file to your inbox. It's free and great to share with your loved ones for their safety as well.
On Monday morning in Louisiana we awoke, and found our elf friend, Wrex, sitting on the back of a bumper ready to humor us with a joke. The humor that he decided to share was way too early for anyone in shop to care.
As time drew on and his laughter went away, the topic of the consumer's "right to choose" came into play. Remember, oh Wrexy boy arrives every morning with much fuel. So, it is not too hard to figure out why he has such the urge to duel.
So, as he sat on the bumper with such pride, we knew the basis of our argument would be the winning side. Wrex, Wrex, Wrex, our friend, we will not let our customers be fooled again.
Our consumers are far to smart to know, that when in an accident, the insurance company cannot tell the them where to go. It is the right of the customer to choose their collision shop, even when the insurance company tells us where our rights stop. When we bring this point up, our Wrex elf starts to sing the blues, but he knows deep down inside, it is the consumer's right to choose.
So, off to the Insurance lord Wrex will go. But, he will return tomorrow loaded with a glow. Worry not, my friends, Wrex will come to find, that the team at Medines Collision Center only has one thing in mind. The Rights of our Customers is the centerpiece of our day, and Wrex will continue to fight until he learns the hard way.
Tomorrow will be another battle with our friend Wrex. A constant battle he may be, but we know the battle will be worth it when we make your life a little less complex.
Stay tuned for our continued battle with WREX, The Insurance Elf.
Have you ever wondered how the insurance company could know, if you have chosen the right place for your collision REPAIR? It's been a mystery for years and not too many people know that it is totally acceptable to tell the insurance company that you would like to take your company THERE.
Meet our elf, Wrex, who brings with him the holiday CHEER. But, he has consumed a bit too much of the insurance company kool aid, so he might be a bit impaired. But, the insurance company wants to keep Wrex a bit brainwashed by providing him with the poor mans version of BEER.
Wrex has many theories as they relate to body shop repair. But our resident shop owner, Chris Medine has the tools and intelligence to set him straight, even it means a heated BATTLE. Wreck Check and Diminished Value will all be twisted and turned. And, when the sun goes down, and our elf friend will run back to the insurance company to TATTLE.
In the picture above, Chris and Wrex look so quaint. But, don't be fooled, as the peaceful vibe will be a short lived FEELING. Each night Wrex reports back to his Insurance lord for a re-fill on his toxic Kool-Aid. And each morning, Wrex will come back with a new insurance rumor that will cause Chris to hit the CEILING.
But auto owners fear not. We have our sights on changing the mind set of our Elf friend, WREX. And, now through Christmas day, we will report the status of our friendship with our elf to you, and hopefully, with much effort and progress, we will clarify the terms and rules of the insurance company and it will make this all a little less COMPLEX!
In South Louisiana, severe storms are a way of life. When hurricanes, tropical storms and tornados hit our region, it can be a very stressful and overwhelming time. Many times the home is the main property that is damaged during these storms. However, there are times when you suffer storm damage to your vehicle in Baton Rouge, and you must take the necessary steps to ensure that you have it repaired.
The most unsuspecting victim of a severe storm can be your vehicle. At times, storm damage can take its toll on a vehicle. During the heavy storms of the Gulf Coast, the wind and rain can cause trees and other debris to fall. And when this debris falls, it sometimes will land on a parked vehicle. And, many times this damage is not obvious to the naked eye. But once a closer look takes place, you will discover the storm damage that has been inflicted on your car.
When it comes to insurance related issues, hurricane damage does not fall under your collision coverage. When you incur hurricane damage to your car due to non-collision issues like flooding, hail, and other natural occurrences, your insurance coverage will fall into the comprehensive category. Certainly every insurance policy is different. So, if you suspect your car has suffered damage from a hurricane or strong storm, then we encourage you to contact us at Medines Collision Center.
At Medines Collision Center, we are your auto accident advisors. If you have suffered vehicle damage due to the storm, let us work with your insurance company to ensure that your vehicle is repaired the right way the first time. As we always say, Take Control, Choose Medines.
photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/pjmixer/5813614657/">PJMixer</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/">cc</a>
The 2012 Olympic Games are well under way, and we are amazed at the skills and talents displayed during these two weeks of athletic competition. Although a majority of these sports do not draw regular attention in the states, sports like swimming, track & field, and gymnastics capture the attention of a large majority of the American nation during this small period of time. Despite the vast differences in the sports, the Olympic athletes all share some of the same personal qualities that make them successful athletes. The qualities developed by these Olympic athletes were earned and not given. In another words, these athletes have worked extremely hard at honing their skills in their particular sports, and were not simply born with this talent.
Some of the common qualities of these Olympic athletes are dedication, visualization, goal setting, self-belief, and a healthy competitive spirit. These are the same ingredients that are present in a quality collision center. In the collision repair business, it takes dedication in learning your trade. Many people give up before they are close to perfecting the skills necessary to rebuild a vehicle. In order to become the very best in the collision repair business, one must be dedicated to becoming a master in the craft.
Visualization is an amazing attribute of all great collision centers. The ability to sense or see what has happened to a damaged vehicle is a gift that is only acquired over time.
One has to be goal oriented to be a great collision center in Baton Rouge. No one can simply "wing" it when it comes to vehcile repair. So, setting the appropriate plan in place for the proper repair of each vehicle is key in the successful return of a owners vehicle.
Self-Belief is certainly important in our profession of collision repair. When assessing a wrecked vehicle, you must have belief and confidence in your abilities in order to make the appropriate analysis. Any self-doubt will make you second guess yourself, and will be reflected in the final product.
And finally there is nothing wrong with a little friendly and healthy competition. It is what drives you to become your best. We certainly know that there are other great Collision Ceners in Baton Rouge, so we want to always stay razor sharp when it comes to our trade.
So, we would like to think we are the the olympic athletes of collison repair in Baton Rouge. We may not run a four minute mile or swim like Michael Phelps, but we sure are confident in our abilities to analyze and repair a damaged or wrecked vehicle. So, if you are in the unfortunate event of an auto accident, take control and choose Medines Collision Center.
Ensuring the proper repair of your damaged vehicle is an important step to putting this auto accident behind you. At Medines Collision Center, repairing your car the right way is like singing the national anthem with a gold medal in our hand!
photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnny9s/4377787835/">johnny9s</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/">cc</a>
When our customers are in the unfortunate circumstance of a bad auto accident, one of the crucial steps we take at Medine’s Collision Center is guide them through the entire process. If the damage to a car is so significant, it can sometimes be deemed a “total loss or totaled ”.
A total loss is a situation in which a vehicle is damaged and the cost of repair and salvage would exceed the vehicle’s market value. In this case, the insurance provider will only pay out the lesser cost of buying a replacement vehicle, instead of paying to repair the old one to its previous state.
How is this total loss amount figured? When an insurance company "totals" your car, the company must pay you what the car was worth before the accident occurred. This amount is called the "fair market value," and includes adjustments for the vehicle’s features, mileage and prior damage. There are several firms that evaluate and publish automobile market values (like the well-known Kelly Blue Book) and the results can vary. Whether the insurance company uses one of these evaluation firms or does its own evaluation, the method the company uses must be documented.
We understand that these circumstances are very stressful on a vehicle owner, so we try to help them with every step of the process. One of the very first things we do is explain to the customer the procedure that will transpire, so there are no surprises. We know that you are in enough shock and awe, so we try to do the “heavy lifting” for you.
Many Collision Centers do not see the value in this extra service or step. However, at Medines Collision Center, we wanted to feature certain services that are not always provided by all Collision Centers. Collision Centers in Baton Rouge going the extra mile is an important ingredient for you to consider when choosing a collision center in Baton Rouge.
If you have recently been in an accident and your vehicle has been deemed a “total loss” or “totaled”, Medines Collision Center can walk you through the process of working with your vehicle insurance provider. Medines Collision Center is your resource for any Baton Rouge Collision Center questions or concerns.
photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/buddawiggi/5987710858/">buddawiggi</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/">cc</a>
After a fender bender, it's wise to make your choice for where you take your car for body repair. So, how do you know which body shop to choose?
With hundreds of collision centers to choose from in the Baton Rouge area, making a choice during these stressful times can be overwhelming. So, we wanted to provide you some quick tips on how to choose a collision center in Baton Rouge.
Usually one of the first things that happens after an auto accident is the process of making contact with your auto insurance provider. Although an insurance company may make some recommendations, drivers ultimately are responsible for selecting an auto body repair shop. Choosing a trustworthy and quality-oriented shop is very important for ensuring the best possible results. Drivers want their car repaired right the first time. So your body shop selection in crucial to your car's proper repair.
One quick and easy way to ensure that the collision center you are considering is the right one for you is to check out the shop's qualifications. You can usually do this online or by simply asking them over the phone. Are the technicians trained from a national organization such as the Inter-Industry Conference on Auto Collision Repair (I-CAR) or National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification.
Another key ingredient in choosing the right collision center for you is making sure your car is repaired right the first time. According to the wreck check car scan center website, 75% of collision repaired vehicles are improperly repaired! With this staggering statistic, you may want to ensure that the collision center in Baton Rouge that you are choosing is a certified wreck check car scan center. At Medines Collision Center, we are the only collision center in Baton Rouge that is a certified Wreck Check Car Scan Center.
Another helpful service is when the collision center helps with finding a rental car arrangement. Depending on many factors, your car can be in the shop for two weeks or more, so a rental car is almost a necessity. At Medines Collision Center, we act as your accident advisors, and we will provide extra services to ensure that you are not left without options after the stressful experience of an auto accident.
Another helpful tip is to ask for a quote or estimate in writing. Get a written repair and price estimate of the work to be performed, as well as an explanation of why specific recommendations are necessary to correct the collision damage, before the job begins. This will allow both you and the collision center to be on the same page.
Please give us your feedback and let us know what questions you may have regarding Collision Centers in Baton Rouge. At Medines Collision Center, our slogan is to Take Control, Choose Medines. We want to put the power in the hands of the driver, not the insurance company. We know how stressful auto accidents can be, so we want you to be equipped with the best possible information, so that you are prepared for the unfortunate circumstance of a auto accident.
We appreciate you visiting and reading our blogs. Please provide feedback by posting comments in the field below this blog.
Thanks for visiting our website. Remember, the next time you are in the unfortunate circumstance of an auto accident in the Baton Rouge area, we want you to take matters in your own hands. Don't let the insurance companies push you around. Take Control and Choose Medines Collision Center.
Medines Collision Center
photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/statefarm/8199269795/">State Farm</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/">cc</a>