An auto accident can be a frustrating and dangerous experience. It often leaves drivers shaken and unable to think clearly. Critical steps may be missed, leading to injury and less than ideal care for your damaged vehicle. To ensure the safety of all those involved and to take proper care of your car, truck, or SUV, there are 8 steps you should take immediately:
- Call 911 - The police will need to file a report, and make sure there are no serious injuries. Never skip this step, no matter what the other involved party may say. To get proper coverage, police reports must be filed.
- Call Your Family - Your loved ones may be concerned if you are late, or they haven't heard from you. They need to know that all is well. You may also need someone to pick you up if your car is damaged enough to require towing to a local auto body and collision repair service company.
- Take Pictures Of Everything - Pull out your phone and take pictures of damage to both vehicles. Also, take a picture of the other person's insurance card and drivers license. By simply writing down their information, you run the risk of committing an error. Taking a quick photo will ensure that you have the correct information when you need it.
- Call Your Insurance Carrier - You need to contact your insurance carrier no matter the extent of damage. In some cases, the damage may not look bad on the outside but has caused frame damage or other unseen problems. Your insurance agent can explain the steps you need to take in order to file a claim and receive compensation for the insurance you pay premiums on.
- Move Your Car To A Safe Area - If your car is still operational, it is a good idea to move your vehicle to a safer area, such as a parking lot away from the roadway and other traffic. Safety should always be a top priority.
- Contact An Auto Body And Collision Repair Service - You will need someone who can give you a free estimate and get to work immediately fixing the damage your automobile suffered. Here in Baton Rouge and the surrounding areas, Medines Collision Center is a top-of-the-line auto body and collision repair service center. You can easily reach us at 225-357-7983, and we will gladly guide you on your next step.
- Call A Tow Truck - Your chosen collision repair center should be able to provide some suggestions on a reliable and economic company to tow your vehicle to their location.
- Get A Rental Car - Depending on the extent of damage to your vehicle, you may need to rent reliable transportation while the experts at Medines put your car back into roadworthy condition. If you ask the collision expert, they may just be able to suggest preferred car rental services in the area.